Thursday, June 10, 2010

dirvish duplicity hashbackup oh my

thread and
post

That looks interesting from the standpoint of compressed backups. I
worry that the diff between one backup and the next will be so great
that the solution is invalidated (for this particular project) due to
the bandwidth requirements.

I can, however, give an update on where I'm going with my push backups
so far.

The key in my instance is going to be a file based loopback device that
can be encrypted. Follow the rabbit trail with me for a second.

*Use 'dd' to create a file. (100gigs let's say.)
*use losetup to assign that file to a loopback device.
*Encrypt the loopback device with the deprecated cryptsetup or the new
dm-crypt
*Format the loopback device
*Mount the loopback device as a dirvish bank.
*make your initial backup to the dirvish vaults on the encrypted device
*umount your encrypted loopback device
*perform your initial rsync of the file that is your encrypted loopback
device

----Now starts the nightly backup procedure--

*Mount the encrypted loopback device to your dirvish bank
*run dirvish to update your vaults
*dismount the encrypted loopback device
*rsync the updated loopback file with a -c (for checksum) so that only
the delta changes cross the wire.

TADA

I realize that this has the added step of having to find extra disk
space or convert existing disk space to a file for use as a loopback
--BUT-- it does allow for one to 'push' a secure dirvish bank with its
vaults to a remote location.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#RSFtalks with Edward Snowden

What an intelligent, thoughtful individual. I find it difficult to forgive 44 for failing to pardon this patriot and instead pursuing him ...

Other Popular Posts: